Powder Blue Pin Dobby Briefs (High Grip, Fast Drying, Stretch Weave)
Orders Resume on Monday
Note: this fabric is grippy. If all-day comfort is more important to you than performance, choose a size larger than you normally would.
No longer can it be said that all men's swimming briefs are the same. They were, when they were all made from nylon knit jersey. However, just like our premium swimsuits for women, these are made from stretch woven fabric.
Every fibre is elastane encased within nylon. Fibres like this, that are strong and yet stretchy, are able to be woven, in the same way cotton fibres are woven, into a smarter looking fabric that stretches more evenly in every direction.
Normally, stretch-woven fabric is reserved for elite sporting kit, such as Olympic team swimsuits and the most expensive triathlon suits. In our prototyping and testing, we have found many advantages to using this fabric for mens swimming briefs.
The one you will notice first, is the grip. You can happily forget the drawstring and still dive or bodysurf in these briefs. Because the elastane strands are arranged in straight lines (in knit fabric, they're looped) they don't need to be stretched by some distance before going to work. They're engaged just by touching your skin.
On your front side, that grip will provide you with decorum, something normal briefs famously lack. Forget the days of eliciting giggles by jogging. These even and support in a gentlemanly fashion.
Resistance to abrasion, the longevity of the elastane and UV protection are all equal or better than stretch-jersey.
With those practical benefits described, we can move to the question of texture. Fibres that stretch can be woven on a dobby loom, the kind of loom used to make premium shirting fabric. The outer fashion fabric of the briefs is made from coloured stretch fibres, woven into a textured dobby fabric, that performs that same way as the technical lining.
- fully lined front and back for an all-round even appearance, comfort, no ingress of sand and to ensure the heat-pressed care label does not show through the back panel
- Gold coloured rack plated chord ends on the drawstring
- Every strand of the stretch woven fabric has a core of elastane within a protective casing of strong nylon and polyester. (Read about the French Woven fabric we use).
- The lining is the same fabric, but black, and 143gsm to support the smart tailored look and provide grip.
- All threads are UV and chlorine resistant polyester.
- The waist seam is supported by 19mm x 0.63mm treated and tensioned latex.
- The 8mm x 0.63mm treated rubber in the leg seam is sewn tight across the buttocks, but relaxed through the front leg for more comfort.
- Electrostatic rack plating to the chord ends contains no heavy metals, for example cadmium, chromium, copper, mercury, nickel or lead.
- Each piece individually cut and sewn in Newcastle East in Australia.
- Design and prototyping by Steven Fleming
- Pattern making and grading by Karissa Shrubb in Newcastle.